Monday, October 25, 2010

Separated In Church


Many things are separated in this world. One of these things happened back then was that they separated white people from coloured people in many places. Such as, the church. But I decided not to follow this rule, on one day when I chose to take Scout and Jem to my church. As soon as we walked through the doors, I could tell by the kids' face that they were nervous. But I knew it was okay for them to be here. Those two were also curious, like for why there weren't any hymn books. As soon as the mass started, I could see the looks from the eyes of everyone who was seated. I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but I felt confident. I got some rude words from some of the people, like Lula who came to me telling how bad it was for the Finch kids to be there. I heard her exact words. She said: "You ain't go no business bringin' white chillun here-they got their church, we got our'n." (pg. 119). But I didn't tolerate that remark. So, I did the appropriate action and stood up for myself, saying: "It's the same God, ain't it?" (pg. 119). Scout and Jem were a bit frightened, but I knew I had to assertively battle Lula. I did what I had to, battling against segregation. During a time back when everything was separated between whites and blacks. There were segregated schools, theatres, fountains, you name it. I can see why they do that, but I choose not to follow it. A Church is for people to worship God in their religious faith. Every Christian Church has that purpose, so it doesn't matter for whites and blacks to be in different ones. I was a combatanant in segregation, one of the hard perils of human history. And I had been the bravest I could be.


http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/segregation
http://www.madison.k12.ky.us/district/projects/Kill/SEG.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment