Monday, October 25, 2010

Dinner With No Class

Whenever you have a guest in your home, you need to treat him/her with respect. I needed to prove that the time Walter Cunningham came to visit for dinner. I had cooked a lovely meal for this occasion. I was working on the meal while everyone else was eating. They began to talk about many things related to many subjects. However, it shocked me to see Scout being judgemental of Walter. Walter askes for molasses, so I went into the kitchen and got it from the fridge. I got the pitcher and handed it to Walter. When that happened, no one did anything. They just stared. As soon as Walter poured molasses, Scout began to shout about how strange that was. She started saying "But he's gone and drowned his dinner is syrup." (pg. 24) As that little girl was commenting on how he is, I was infuriated very much, so I demanded to talk to her. When I dragged Scout into the kitchen, I let her know upset I was for what she did. I said "Yo' folks might be better'n the Cunninghams but it don't count for nothin' the way you're disgracin' 'em-if you can't act fit to eat at the table you can just set here and eat in the kitchen!" (pg. 24-25) What happened at dinner was like on of those sit ins at the restaurants. Back when the coloured folks would go to the restaurants and the whites were disgusted for them being there. Those things happened at times like this in the 1930's. I can't stand for anyone to disrespect others in their company. That's just who I am. I'm sure that events like this may come in the future. Until then, I'm keeping an eye out for the Finch kids to see if they don't provoke others not in their class.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAjimcrow.htm
http://academic.udayton.edu/race/02rights/jcrow02.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment